The Accommodation Office helps international exchange students and degree students in searching for accommodation in Hamburg. International doctoral candidates or international researchers cannot apply for our service.
In Germany, public universities do not offer rooms in a student residence hall on campus. Most universities have a partnership with Studierendenwerk, who is the owner of the public student halls in Germany. In cooperation with Studierendenwerk, the universities can offer a limited number of rooms in the student halls. Students, who do not rent a room in one of the student halls, rent a private room in a shared flat or rent a flat.
The Accommodation Office offers two services for international students:
- Only for prospective international degree students of TUHH and exchange students from partner universities: Freshman Room in selected student halls of our partner Studierendenwerk Hamburg and private housing (local citizens offer rooms directly to us).
- For all international degree students of TUHH: help in finding private housing
Further information about how to find accommodation in Hamburg can be found in our brochure.
Please note that you can only apply for rooms during the application period. The application period for rooms for the winter semester will be from April 27 until June 15. For the summer semester it will be from October 27 until December 15.
The application for a Room is through our portal Mobility Online. Please note, that only prospective international degree students and exchange students from partner universities can apply for rooms.
Due to the high number of applicants and the limited number of Freshman Rooms in the student halls of our partner Studierendenwerk Hamburg, we also offer rooms in private housing offered by locals.
- In cooperation with our partner Studierendenwerk Hamburg, the Accommodation Office offers prospective international students a limited number of rooms in selected student halls in Hamburg for one or two semesters. Please note that Studierendenwerk Hamburg allocates the Freshman Rooms. You can not choose the student hall.
- Freshman rooms are fully furnished single rooms in apartment units of 2-6 students, with a shared kitchen and bathroom.
- The monthly rent of a freshman room is between 325 € and 399 €. Exceptions are possible.
- The rental period is limited to a maximum of 12 months. (i.e. 2 semesters, always starting in September).
If you would like to rent from the summer semester onwards, you can only rent the Freshman Room from April until the end of August.
Private Rooms/Private Housing
- Private Rooms are offered by locals directly to us.
- Private Rooms are located in Hamburg and the surrounding area.
- The rent per month depends on the district, furnished or not, shared kitchen and bathroom. The rent per month is between 350 € and 500 €.
- The rental period for private housing is usually flexible.
Please note that the application for a room is for both Freshman Room and Private Room. If you would like to apply only for a Private Room, please select this option in your application.
Help in finding accommodation
In case that you have missed the application period for rooms, you can ask for help in finding accommodation. We will send you information about how to find accommodation in Hamburg and the surrounding area.
The Accommodation Office is no agency. We can only offer a limited number of private accommodation. For this reason, we recommend you to hunt for a room by yourself, too.
Application for Rooms
Please note that we can not give you any guarantee that you will receive an offer for a room because of the high number of applications every year.
Online-application for a Freshman Room and a room in private housing
If you are already registered as a user in Mobility-Online and have already applied as an Erasmus or overseas exchange student for the upcoming semester,
Please follow this link to fill out and send the Online-form for the rooms application. Please use the same email address and your first name and your last name as you sent us for the application for your exchange studies at TUHH in Mobility-Online!
You will receive an email with information where you have to re-login to Mobility-Online. Use the link provided in the email and use the same username and password for login.
In Mobility-Online on the left side menu, under "My Application Data", click "Selection of the used application". You'll see your exchange student application and your rooms application.
Put a check mark behind the rooms application and click the button "select application".
You'll see the workflow for your rooms application. Please complete all required steps to complete your application for rooms.
If you are not registered in Mobility-Online,
Please follow this link to fill out and send the Online-form for the rooms application.
You will receive an email asking you to register as a user in Mobility-Online.
Follow the link provided in the email, choose a user name and password to register as a user.
You will receive a registration confirmation with a different link to access your rooms application in Mobility-Online.
Follow the new link to re-login to Mobility-Online in order to complete your rooms application.
On the left side menu, under "My Application Data", click "Selection of the used application". You'll see your rooms application in the centre field. Click on the application to see the workflow for your application - with all still open steps.
Please complete all required steps to complete your application for rooms.
- In Person
- Aylin Kruse
Am Schwarzenberg-Campus 3, Building E, Room 0.055a
No personal office hours until further notice
- On the Phone
- Telephone: +49 40 42878-2707
- By Email
- By Post
- TUHH, International Office,
Am Schwarzenberg-Campus 3